Carlton LandingCarlton Landing, Oklahoma
The Humphreys Co.
About Carlton Landing
Being 120 miles east of Oklahoma City, and 80 miles west of Tulsa, it is not surprising that Carlton Landing is designed to be explicitly sustainable. The remote 1000-acre community intends to be self-sufficient in every sense. Visionary creator Grant Humphreys, his family, and his Oklahoma City-based development firm have brought to life the fabric of a real place in less than 10 years.
Hugging the shores of Lake Eufaula – the largest man-made reservoir in Oklahoma – the town occupies a privileged natural setting with mature vegetation, natural gas wells, and ample lake access complemented by a varied topography that includes steep bluffs and flat areas suitable for agriculture. A small island on the east side is located within the Army Corps of Engineers jurisdiction, but can host public uses such as equestrian trails, a marina facility, and dormitories for summer camps. A second phase, an additional 900 acres, to the south has already been subject of a visioning charrette.
- Self-governance: Carlton Landing is the first New Urbanist community to become an incorporated town.
- Mix of uses: town center shops, restaurants, live/ work units, and generous greens and parks.
- Mix of housing: condominiums, townhouses, cottages, and large estates.
- Self-sustaining: town will have its own sewer treatment plant.
- Civic amenities: elementary school, a church, town green pavilion, community pool with clubhouse, and a community garden with nearby facility for management, processing, and sale of produce.
Defining Design Details
- Community emphasized: many of the smaller units are arranged around shared common areas, courts, and/or along pedestrian paths.
- Seamless infrastructure: light Imprint rainwater mitigation techniques are visible to all in the parks, streets, lots, alongside buildings, and blending into to the natural context.
- Investment in authenticity: load-bearing brick structures & wood-plank boardwalks.
- Innovative housing: senior cottage court.
Alternative Oklahoma Travel Planner
From: 405 MagazineBy: MATT PAYNE
Carlton Landing OKLA Celebrates Completion of 100th Home
From: PR WebBy:
It's Official: Carlton Landing-Becomes a New Town
From: Carlton LandingBy: